The residential construction industry is currently experiencing an exponential boom, and a lack of skilled trade professionals means an overabundance of jobs. Among the fastest-growing and most-needed positions in new home construction include electricians, glass installation and repair technicians, masons, plumbers, roofers, and project managers.
While there is high demand for these positions, demand alone won’t help your construction team continue to land jobs. To make a positive impression on builders and increase credibility within the industry, brush up on the following six best practices in construction project management.
How to Manage Builders’ Expectations
Builders expect three things from construction projects: The requested job completed efficiently, within budget and on time. Effortlessly check off all three all while showcasing your professionalism and expertise by:
- Managing Expectations - Sometimes in construction expectations can become unrealistic, and timelines drag on. Avoid this by clearly defining and communicating expectations with the builder and your employees to help stay within budget and on track.
- Building the Right Team - Homebuilding projects reach the highest levels of success when each member of the team is utilized for expertise in their field. A project manager who knows the capabilities of each of their contractors can assign teams correctly so that the entire process is more efficient.
- Documenting the Details - Notating details of your construction projects is vital in case the builder has any issues or questions with your work. This means that not only you as the project manager but also your contractors need to maintain detailed notes for every aspect of the construction project. While the number of notes quickly adds up, recent advancements in project management software simplifies the notetaking process, which allows you to easily track, manage, and record information about every aspect of the home building process and control how data is collected, stored, and distributed.
- Anticipating Project Issues - Effective project managers and the contractors who work for them are accustomed to expecting the unexpected. The most successful managers are so detailed in their scheduling and task progression that they can address issues before they arise.
- Communicating Quickly and Effectively - The world of constant communication is particularly crucial for construction management. Any delay in receiving confirmation or details on projects can easily push timelines. With project management software available, creating or confirming schedule updates, documenting hours and materials used, and any information related to the job can easily be done within seconds on your phone.
- Taking Advantage of Technological Resources - Technological advances in the digital age have changed many of the processes and methods for the management of new home construction. Project management software integrates information related to past, present, and future work of personnel, materials and budget details. Plus, potential setbacks can be addressed in real-time to avoid added costs and time.
How Mobile-Savvy Contractors Simplify New Home Construction
Bolt Software was built to streamline the entire residential home construction process, allowing contractors who work with builders to follow project management best practices. Developed by lifelong construction professionals, the construction management software simplifies day-to-day processes and maximizes best practices to lead you and your team to success in every construction contract.
Whether you are a project manager or a trade contractor, effective communication, and integrated organization systems make it easier to do your job. The following are some of the benefits Bolt’s project management system provides:
Straightforward Scheduling: Avoid miscommunications in scheduling information and adjustments. With Bolt’s project management software, all workers know where they are supposed to be and when and are instantly notified of any changes to the construction schedule. Maintaining clear, effective communication makes a lasting impression on the builder and strengthens your chances of winning additional jobs.
Accurate and Detailed Records: Inaccurate tracking of materials used for jobs is eliminated with Bolt’s software. Project managers can access and manage documents, regardless of if they are on the job or at home. Records related to jobs are kept and stored for easy access for any future purposes, and digital record-keeping eliminates any questions of handwriting or physical delivery. All the features combined results in both happy builders and clients.
Cohesive Information: All data and communication related to the job are easily accessible through mobile applications. Contractors and project managers monitor and adjust on the fly through their mobile phone or tablet. Access records, schedules, and budgets, and stay informed with instant update capacities. Every detail of the job is brought together in one integrated system. From secure storage of related documents to effective communication between project managers and contractors, Bolt Software helps crews run a more efficient job site that exceeds home builder expectations.
Accessible Accounting: Bolt integrates seamlessly with QuickBooks accounting system. Its accounting organization has a user-friendly interface for smaller businesses to keep track of the books. Documents and images are uploaded and downloaded directly from the management system, making it easy to create folders, set up security parameters, and share documents with other members of the team. All relevant documents are accessible in one place with total management control.
Thoughtful Details: Bolt Software’s visually appealing and straightforward interface allows information and communication to flow smoothly. Crews can navigate the software with streamlined options that make sense and speed up timelines. Contractors can also automate and confirm tasks and deliveries, saving time and avoiding “gotcha’s” that often plague the residential construction industry.
Finish the Job On Time and Under Budget
Maximize both job productivity and efficiency for residential construction project managers and trade contractors with Bolt’s flexible and cost-saving project management system.
Contact a knowledgeable member of our team today for complete information about how Bolt Software can keep your job running smoothly, on time and on budget.